Dear Parents, Staff and Guardians
I write to you to keep you informed about the latest developments regarding the Novel Coronavirus.
The safety, health and welfare of our students, staff and parents is paramount. Accordingly, Melbourne Grammar School’s response will continue to be informed by the advice provided by the Australian Government Department of Health and the Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services.
The Victorian Department of Health and Human Services’ advice for schools was updated on 2 February. This advice can be viewed: https:www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ohp-novel-coronavirus.htm
to assist you in your understanding of the virus, how it is being handled, and where you can get further information. In following this advice, Melbourne Grammar School’s position is as follows:
- As previously advised by me via email on 27 January, if you or your children have recently visited areas where the virus has been identified (Wuhan City and the Hubei Province in China), or have had close contact with a visitor from Wuhan City and the Hubei Province within the past two weeks, we ask you not to send your son or daughter back to School until he or she is clear of symptoms and has been back in Australia (and free of any contact with a visitor from Wuhan City and the Hubei Province) for at least two weeks.
- In addition, any student returning from mainland China (not just Hubei Province) who was in mainland China on or after 1 February 2020 has to be isolated at home and cannot attend school until 14 days after they were last in mainland China and are free of symptoms. This does not apply to Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, nor does it apply retrospectively. It applies only to students who were in mainland China on or after 1 February 2020.
Similarly, we ask parents and staff who fall into these parameters not to visit the School and attend School events until the two-week period has ended.
During this time, you should be alert for symptoms ranging from mild illness to pneumonia. People may experience fever, flu like symptoms such as coughing, sore throat and headaches and have difficulty breathing. Please seek medical advice if these symptoms present themselves.
Please inform your most appropriate Head of School if your child will not be attending school because of the above reasons.
House (Prep to Year 6) Royce Helm, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wadhurst (Years 7 and 8) Greg Caldwell, email@example.com
- Senior School (Years 9 to 12) Ben Hanisch, firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your son is a boarder, please also inform the Director of Boarding, Geoff Guggenheimer, email@example.com
The School will support any student who commences School later than usual due to the above requirements to minimise any impact on his or her education and progress.
Melbourne Grammar School will continue to keep you informed of any significant developments. Please do not hesitate to contact the School should you wish to discuss this further. I thank you in anticipation of your ongoing understanding and support.